In this post, I am going to explain why the overuse of antibiotics leads to candida and what can be done to help the body to regain health.
The overuse of antibiotics can be one of the main underlying causes of candida overgrowth. We all know that the use of antibiotics leads to dis-balance in the gut flora. This happens because the antibiotics although intended for a specific infection do affect the microbiome as well. When the good bacteria are killed by antibiotics it is an opportunity for other microorganisms in the gut which are not affected by antibiotics, like yeast to thrive. Antibiotics can be lifesaving in some situations, so their use cannot be completely avoided. Unfortunately, often antibiotics are overused and this has led to many problems like antibiotics resistance, and candida overgrowth. More information on this you can find here. More information about antibiotics resistance you can see here.
Book a 15 min free appointment to see how homeopathy can help you.
When do we receive antibiotics?
This question may seem self-explanatory, but many of us do not realize some of the mechanisms.
- We all know if we have been prescribed antibiotics by our doctor for some sort of infection.
- Another way that we get a dose of antibiotics without consent is through the food we eat. Yes, animals are given antibiotics to promote growth and prevent infections. Consequently, we do get a share by consuming animal products like milk and meat. The way to avoid this is to become vegetarian or to eat organic animal products.
More information about the use of antibiotics in farmed animals you can find here.
What can we do to restore gut health?
- Healthy diet: Avoid sugar and processed food. Eat vegetables and proteins, reduce fast carbohydrates. More about the candida diet you can read here.
- Eat fermented foods every day, they are natural probiotics. Buy them from a whole foods store or prepare them yourself at home. I do prepare yogurt, kefir, kimchi, and souerkraut at home so can say it is possible.
- Add prebiotics to your diet. Prebiotics are types of dietary fiber that feeds the good bacteria in the gut (the probiotics). More about prebiotics you can read here.
- Take probiotic supplements after you have been on antibiotics. This will help to restore your good bacteria.
How homeopathy can help?
We can use a homeopathic detox protocol and detox from antibiotics. This is done by using a remedy made from the specific antibiotic that has caused the problem. More often we use a remedy made from a combination of most used antibiotics because many of us have had more than one type of antibiotics The course normally takes 8 weeks. The idea behind the homeopathic detox is to help the body restore itself from the adverse effect of the antibiotics.
Another homeopathic prescription can be Bowel nosodes. These are remedies made from a healthy microbiome which can be given in different potencies to stimulate the body to restore its gut balance.
Are there any alternatives for the antibiotics?
Yes, we have alternatives.
- Keep a healthy diet, this will reduce your risk of infections, so you will not need antibiotics as often.
- Another alternative is homeopathy. We have remedies known as homeopathic antibiotics, which are very effective in fighting infections. I will be writing another blog on the topic of using homeopathy instead of antibiotics.
Finally, if you are interested to know more about how homeopathy can help restore your health after overuse of antibiotics, book a 15 min free appointment.