Homeopathy can help control the symptoms of food poisoning and speed up the recovery process. In this post, I will outline the keynotes of the homeopathic remedies that are most commonly used.
What is food poisoning?
Food poisoning is an illness caused by eating contaminated food. It’s not usually serious, and most people get better within a few days without treatment. In most cases of food poisoning, the food is contaminated by bacteria, such as salmonella or Escherichia coli (E. coli), or a virus, such as norovirus.
The most common symptoms of food poisoning are:
- stomach cramps
- a high temperature of 38C or above
- feeling generally unwell – such as feeling tired or having aches and chills
Homeopathic remedies for food poisoning
- Arsenic Album is the homeopathic ‘first aid’ for food poisoning. It helps with diarrhoea, nausea, and vomiting. Vomiting may contain clear water or thick glairy mucus. If the person eats anything, it is vomited out quickly. The stool is loose, foul-smelling, and may feel weak. Burning pain in the abdomen may be present. Frequent thirst for water at short intervals is usually present.
- Veratrum Album is indicated homeopathic remedy for food poisoning with copious vomiting. Even the smallest amount of water gets vomited, and excessive weakness follows the vomiting. The body may feel cold. Other possible symptoms are nausea and copious loose stool.
- Aloe is indicated in cases of food poisoning with marked diarrhoea. The stool is watery, and there is an urgent need to pass it. Rumbling and gurgling in the rectum are present, and a constant bearing down is felt in the rectum.
- Colocynthis helps food poisoning with marked abdominal cramps. Other possible symptoms can be cutting and colicky pains in the abdomen. Bending double or pressing the stomach helps relieve the pain. The pain tends to worsen from slight eating or drinking. Along with this loose stool, vomiting and nausea are also present.
- China is indicated for food poisoning with diarrhoea and extreme weakness. The stool is watery, foul, and painless, with marked exhaustion and debility. Excessive flatulence and bloating may be present. China is used for food poisoning from consuming bad meat, unripe fruit, and bad water. It is also indicated for travellers’ diarrhoea.
- Nux Vomica is homeopathic remedy for food poisoning with excessive retching and inability to vomit. The person may attempt to pass stool frequently but can only expel small quantities. Loud, rumbling, gurgling sounds in the abdomen may be present.
- Ipecac is used to treat food poisoning accompanied by intense nausea and vomiting. The nausea is present all the time. Vomiting appears, but it does not relieve nausea. Vomiting of watery fluids, green mucus, or blackish matter may be present. A frothy stool and pain around the navel are often noted.
- Podophyllum is indicated for profuse, offensive, yellowish or greenish loose stool. Fetid flatus, mucus in the stool, and vomiting hot, frothy mucus may also be present when this remedy is needed.
Disclaimer: This article is for educational purposes only and not intended to replace the advice of your physician or health care provider. Homeopathy is not to be used instead in emergency care.Book an appointment